The Most Comprehensive H1B Visa Filing Checklist 2019
Application, approval and stamping for H1B visa is a lengthy procedure. At every stage, you need a set of documents without which you can’t move further. It is important to be ready with an H1B visa documents checklist 2019 to avoid any possible obstacles that may put your petition off-track.
Check out the ultimate checklist covering all the documents that you need to keep handy:
H1B Visa Application Checklist
You must note that your prospective U.S. employer will file the H1B visa petition along with the required fees.
If you are not in the U.S.–
Employer’s must prepare the Form I-129 which is the Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. Documents that accompany this form are as follows:
- Educational certificates (copies) that attest the qualifications which qualify you to apply for H1B visa. These include the transcripts (mark sheets) as well as the degree award certificates.
- Latest resume (copy)
- Certificates or letters confirming previous work experience (if any)
- Sponsorship job offer letter from an American company/employer.
- Valid original and latest passport (copies of all pages). You may also require copies of the all old passports you once held.
- In case, an H1B petition was made earlier on your behalf, you would need to provide the appropriate I-797 form attesting the result of the petition.
- If you hold a foreign degree then you will need to obtain a Credential Evaluation prepared by educational evaluation agency confirming degree is equivalent to that of a U.S. degree.
- Certain occupations may require State Licensure
- Certain healthcare occupations may require a Visa Screen Certificate
If you are (or had been) in the U.S. –
In addition to the above documents, you also need to provide:
- Copy of Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student), if you migrated to the United States for study purposes.
- If you were authorized to work in OPT or CPT then you will need to submit copies of W2 tax forms and paystubs.
- Copy of any OPT/EAD Card
- If you have a degree from any U.S. institute/university, transcripts and degree award certificates are also required.
- Copy of Form I-94 which attests the arrival-departure records of the applicant
- Copies of any visa stamps in your passport
H1B Visa Interview Documents Checklist
The section also contains the H1B visa stamping documents checklist that you must keep ready while appearing for the interview at the designated embassy or consulate:
- Form DS-160 – It must be noted that the Form DS-160 must be submitted online and a confirmation page with the CEAC barcode must be provided at the time of your H-1B visa interview.
- Original Valid passport and any old passports.
- Visa interview scheduling letter.
- Original Notice of Action I-797 which announces the result of your H1B visa petition.
- Copy of Form I-129 as received from the employer.
- Employment Verification Letter from the employer describing in details the motive to hire you as well as the proposed duties of the job being offered.
- Degree certificates and mark sheets (carry the original ones as well as the copies).
- Copy of LCA (Labor Condition Application) Form – According to the H1B 2019 latest news, the employers must provide the latest version of LCA, which is ETA Form 9035, to disclose information about the type, location, salary etc. to be paid to the foreign worker.
- Documents that verify your employment history as well as the special skills that you possess.
Spouse and Children H4 Visa Documents Checklist
H1B visa holders who wish to take their spouse and dependent children along with them to the United States will need to provide the following documentation:
- Copies of the DS-160 confirmation page for each person that would accompany the principal applicant
- Copies of principal applicant’s petition form I-129 or Notice of Action I-797.
- Marriage certificate for the spouse
- Birth certificate for each dependent child
- Copy of passport for each H4 applicant
Hire an immigration expert who would help you at every stage of applying for the H1B visa. The expert can efficiently take care of preparing all important documents so that you can focus on other important tasks.