Family Green Card

Many people get a Family Green Card (become permanent residents) through family members. You may be eligible to get a Green Card as:

  • an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, this includes spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older
  • a family member of a U.S. citizen fitting into a preference category, this includes unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21, married children of any age, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older
  • a family member of a green card holder, this includes spouses and unmarried children of the sponsoring green card holder
  • Fiance(e) of a U.S. Citizen

First, the USCIS must approve an immigrant visa petition, I-130 Petition for Alien Relative filed by your sponsoring relative for you. Next, most sponsors will need to demonstrate adequate income or assets to support the intending immigrant, and accept legal responsibility for financially supporting their family member, by completing and signing a document called an Affidavit of Support. Once this is complete, then the intending immigrant will apply for the immigrant visa or adjustment of status.


 Fiance(e) Visas
 Spouse Visas
 Son/Daughter Visas
 Parent Visas
 Brother/Sister Visas
 Adjustment of Status
 Consular Processing
 Removing  Conditional Residency